"If [aliens] doubt that our course can be changed, then they may seek to preemptively destroy our civilization in order to protect other civilizations from us," said Jacob Haqq-Misra, a meteorologist and astrobiologist at Penn State and a co-author of the new paper.
"The bottom line is, if there are intelligent civilizations out there, they pretty much have to have figured out how to grow in a sustainable way," Haqq-Misra pointed out. "We're not doing that, and [alien civilizations] might make some moral judgment on how we're managing our resources."
The article goes on to say "Whatever the outcome, the new research is another reminder that you don't survive long in this universe if you can't figure out how to live within your means."
"Green" aliens might object to the environmental damage humans have caused on Earth and wipe us out to save the planet. "These scenarios give us reason to limit our growth and reduce our impact on global ecosystems. It would be particularly important for us to limit our emissions of greenhouse gases, since atmospheric composition can be observed from other planets." (source)
So there you have it:-
"Agree to our carbon tax or we will sic the aliens on to you!"
I will attempt to point out how crazy this scientific "finding" is.
The closest star with a known planetary system is 15 light years away (see here), or in old money, 142 trillion kilometres (142 with twelve zeros). Voyager 1 is currently travelling at 62,000 km/h away from Earth, and even at that speed would take 260 thousand years to travel 15 light years. So even assuming our environmentally conscious aliens:
- live on the closest planetary system to our own, AND
- have been monitoring the atmosphere of a rather small, rocky planet orbiting a rather ordinary star, AND
- have the technology to detect a 100ppm increase in CO2 from Earth's emission spectrum, AND
- have the same useless climate models we have here, AND
- have the misfortune to count among their number the alien equivalent of James Hansen, who finds this treatment of a foreign planet abhorrent, AND
- set off immediately on receiving this shocking information, intent on saving the Earth, AND
- have the technology to travel at even 100 times as fast as the fastest human space vehicle ever, AND
- are able to transport the numbers of invaders and weaponry required to subdue nearly 7 billion Earthlings,
Now, do you still believe "the scientists?"
See the full report here.