Adapted from Jim Guirard in American Thinker (2009)
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Movement (AGW) has taken on worrisome attributes of a pseudo-religious cult, which operates far more on the basis of an apocalyptic ”belief” system than on objective climate science.
Kingdom of the Cults
Here are ten of this AGW ideology’s very specific characteristics, many of whose roots and lock-step influences can be found in Walter Martin’s and Ravi Zacharias’ definitive, award-winning 2003 book, “Kingdom of the Cults:”
- Leadership by a self-glorifying, manipulative New Age Prophet — in this case, former Vice-President Al Gore, though he is possibly being supplanted by President Barack Obama.
- Assertion of an apocalyptic threat to all mankind.
- An absolutist definition of both the threat and the proposed solution(s).
- Promise of a salvation from this pending apocalypse.
- Devotion to an inspired text which (arguendo) embodies all the answers — in this case, Prophet Gore’s pseudo-scientific book “Earth in the Balance” and his more recent ”An Inconvenient Truth” documentary.
- A specific list of “truths” (see the Ten Commandments listed below) which must be embraced and proselytized by all Cult members..
- An absolute intolerance of any deviation from any of these truths by any Cult member.
- A strident intolerance of any outside criticism of the Cult’s definition of the problem or of its proposed solutions.
- A “Heaven-on-Earth” vision of the results of the mission’s success and/or a “Hell-on-Earth” result if the cultic mission should fail.
- An inordinate fear (and an outright rejection of the possibility) of being proven wrong in either the apocalyptic vision or the proposed salvation.
The Ten Commandments of “Thou-Shalt” and “Thou-Shalt-Not” absolutes — designed for keeping its devoted cultists in lockstep support and its intimidated detractors in retreat:
- Thou shalt have but one Mother Earth (Gaia) Goddess before you
- Thou shalt not worship false Prophets — especially sun cycles, ocean cycles, volcanic influences and “Objective Science” in general
- Thou shalt never doubt catastrophic depletion of the so-called “Ozone Layer”
- Thou shalt not doubt man-made “Greenhouse Gasses” as the primary cause of GW
- Thou shalt condemn such doubters as “Extremists” and “Criminals Against Humanity”
- Thou shalt minimize, ignore and deny any and all environmental good news
- Thou shalt avoid benefit-cost evaluations of AGW solutions and never admit error or falsehood about anything
- Thou shalt continue opposing all Nuclear and new Hydro power, despite their non-GW attributes
- Thou shalt promote “zero-carbon-footprint” policies of Less Energy at Higher Prices, except for heavily subsidized ethanol
- Thou shalt engage forever in “Eeeekology” and “Eeeekonomics” (scare-tactics ecology and economics) and never, ever vote Republican
- “Branch” because it is a radical offshoot from the main body of science-based environmentalism;
- “Carbonian” because of its professed fear of carbon dioxide as a primary cause of AGW; and
- “Cult” because of its self-evident structure and practices — which are in full accord with most elements of the typical religious cult, Branch Davidian or Jim Jonesian or otherwise.